Tomorrow brings the start of our 4th year of marriage. Wow. Even after I just typed that, I can’t quite believe that’s true. How was our wedding 4 years ago? How have we been together for over 10 years?
Looking through old blog posts, I realized that about this time last year is when I began to taper off in my posts. I blame the house. Definitely the house.
Because of that, I never shared all the ideas I came up with for third anniversary gifts. We try to stick to the traditional gifts, but we always have it have some kind of personal touch. For instance, for our first year anniversary, the paper anniversary, Dan made me the wall art that hangs in our bedroom, made by poking pinholes in cardstock.
For the second anniversary, the traditional gift is cotton. I posted a bunch of gift ideas when I was trying to figure out what to get Dan. I ended up buying pillowcases and sewing a message on them, which we say to each other all the time.
The third anniversary traditional gift is made with leather. Leather. Not as easy to come up with a personalized gift you can make from leather. Even so, I thought these gifts all had some potential:
1. A nice comfy, worn in looking leather chair. This does top the list for expense, but a piece of furniture is something you could pick out together.
2. Electronics docking station travel case. You know, to keep all your gadgets and gizmos.
3. A leather journal. For work, Dan needs to write down ideas as they come to him. He’s almost always carrying a pen and notebook.
4. A nice messenger bag, or briefcase. Also to keep all your gadgets and gizmos.
5. A football. Add on a jersey of his favorite player.
6. Leather and metal bracelets. OK, this one is for the wives, but I can’t get over how cute these are.
I ended up getting Dan a leather bag, which he uses for work everyday. I’ll admit, he had to help pick it out, so he didn’t have it on our actual anniversary. For my gift, Dan thought outside the box and bought me a felt wine tote with a leather strap, which I happily bring with when we visit wineries, one of my favorite things. He added to the gift by buying me what we call here a “Ravinia table,” which is basically a short table you can take to outdoor concerts, movies, or picnics.
Check back next week when I will share all the gift ideas I came up with for this year.